Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Progress Updates

As an answer to many prayers, Addison remained happy and calm for the first time at her orthopedic appointment on 1/10. She usually is hysterical and we have not felt like he could evaluate her thoroughly. After seeing her move her legs a little (we have never been able to show him this before), Addison's orthopedic doctor suggested that we begin to take her out of the hip brace for 1-2 hours a couple times per day. He hopes that by giving her some more freedom that she will try to move her legs more and strengthen the muscles in her lower extremeties. Please continue to pray hard that her legs and muscles will strengthen and that her hips will be healed without surgery.

Since then, we have been working really hard with Addison during her awake times to try to move her legs for her in ways that a normal newborn would. I have found that I can get her legs to move the best during her bathtime. It is amazing to watch her getting a tiny more movement every day.

This month, we also began our in-home therapy with Sooner Start, the state's early childhood development agency. Our occupational therapy has been to the house once. She will be visiting us on a weekly basis to evaluate Addison and teaching us how to help Addison stay on track developmentally. On her first visit, she noted that her head was becoming very flat on the right side. This also has affected her motor skills. I had noticed that her right arm was a lot stronger and more mobile, but didn't know why. The OT explained that they learn to move their limbs by being able to see them. Since Addison was primarily looking to the right, she didn't really know that her left arm and hand existed. We have learned ways now to motivate her to reach for her toys with the left arm and hand. She began to make improvements overnight. Regarding this situation, please pray that Addison's head will reshape through positioning and will not require medical intervention. We certainly do not want Addison to be in a helmet for her head and a brace for her hips.

Last week, I also received the results back from my DNA testing. Unfortunately, I tested positive. My numbers are extremely low, so hopefully I will never experience any of the symptoms. I have great peace about myself; however, I struggle with worrying whether Megan will be affected by the disease. Please pray that I will stop thinking about this so much and that I will trust God completely as he protects her precious body.

My last prayer request is also a praise. We have been cautioned repeatedly by Addison's doctors that a cold or virus could potentially be life-threatening to her due to the respiratory weakness that accompanies congenital Myotonic Dystrophy. As a result, we have tried to limit her time outside of the house and her interaction with many people. Thankfully Addison has remained healthy despite Phillip having two colds in the last month. We praise God for protecting her so far this winter. Please pray for her continued protection from any virus or infection during the next few critical months.


Addison's first tummy time after receiving authorization from Dr. last week. She lifted her head pretty good, but hasn't figured out that her arms could help her out a lot.


Addison loves her bath time. As you can see, she is very happy after her bath last night. Her tongue smile is the sure sign of her happiness. What a cutie!

3 comments:

Lisa Renee said...

I love that tongue picture and the one above it is SO precious! What a pretty girl! I will definately be praying for you to not 'think' too much- something I struggle with along with worry myself. Stay in and keep warm. SO good seeing a new post and keeping up with you and your family. Fun to hear the progress as well.

Anonymous said...

WONDERFUL REPORTS! BEAUTIFUL BABY! ANSWERED PRAYER! BLESSED HOPE! GRACE IN ACTION! Recently, I have had opportunity for teaching moments about hope. Thus, hope is much on my mind. You have certainly named her appropriately. Little Addison Hope Mesa inspires hope. Thank you so much for taking the time to share with us and keep us updated. I do pray that Addison stays well, continues to strengthen, that her head smooths and that all are especially sensitive to her need to be protected from colds and flu, in Jesus name. Praise Him for his faithfulness, clearly evident in the precious little tongue smile. :-)I praise Him for your good nights of much needed sleep and pray for your continued grace and endurance.

MDM said...

I am praying for you guys, julie! I just found your blog via Lisa's and I have loved catching up with you and your's. Your girls are beautiful. I will keep checking back for updates. Your faithfulness in God to take care of Addison is inspiring.